FIU will celebrate the graduation of countless numbers of learners in a few outside ceremonies Aug. 4-6, 2021, including graduates who will be identified as Genuine Triumphs Graduates for their achievements in the classroom and in their fields.
“The course of 2021 has excelled through dramatic problems. Our before long-to-be FIU alumni rolled up their sleeves and put in the function to make their degree and lead meaningfully to their communities and over and above,” said FIU President Mark B. Rosenberg. “We are so proud of them.”
Additional than 5,500 pupils will graduate – a summertime document. Graduation ceremonies will be held at 7 p.m., Aug. 4 – 6 at FIU Stadium on FIU’s MMC campus. The very first courses of the business administration and cognitive neuroscience doctoral programs will cross the phase on Friday night.
Miami-Dade County Community Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho will be the commencement speaker at the Wednesday, Aug. 4 ceremony.
Genuine Triumphs Graduates this summer time contain:
- Kazue Orikasa Lopez, who transferred to FIU from Miami Dade College with a full-tuition scholarship, works to invent new products to remodel cardiovascular care and support NASA perform superior in aerospace. With the Countrywide Science Basis Nanosystems Engineering Investigation Heart Mobile Metamaterials task, she helped acquire new methods to generate artificial human cells to fix the coronary heart. Orikasa Lopez landed a NASA internship, the place she labored on establishing state-of-the-art elements for aerospace purposes and is a co-inventor on a patent linked to that study. Following graduation, she programs to go after a master’s degree and hopes to 1 working day participate in a role in spacecraft advancement. Orikasa Lopez will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in mechanical and elements engineering from the Higher education of Engineering and Computing on Wednesday, Aug. 4.
- Influenced by his mother’s work as a health care provider furnishing principal treatment to a remote, underserved group in Cuba, Alvaro Abreu started his increased training journey at Miami Dade School and transferred to FIU to earn a Bachelor of Science in biological sciences and a Bachelor of Arts in natural and used sciences from the School of Arts, Sciences & Schooling. He labored in the admissions section of Westchester Basic Hospital’s unexpected emergency room by the COVID-19 pandemic and contributed to a hospital-led analyze that lessened the inflammatory hurt the coronavirus causes to a person’s lungs. He also assisted in an hard work to use machine learning to prepare a hand-held scanner that could 1 working day detect and diagnose pores and skin most cancers speedily. Soon after commencement, Alvaro will implement to healthcare educational facilities and will return to Westchester Standard Medical center to operate on the medical informatics staff. Abreu will graduate on Thursday, Aug. 5.
- Christian Sanchez, a Cuban immigrant and to start with-era college or university college student, experiments new means to mitigate mosquito-borne illnesses these types of as malaria, yellow fever, and Zika. As a aspect of the Superior Analysis and Creative imagination in Honors (ARCH) in the FIU Honors Faculty, Sanchez identified that more mature mosquito eggs are much more inclined to pesticides. He also started the Undergraduate Mentorship Match Plan (UMMP) for premedical students to obtain assistance from upperclassmen who have already been through the undergraduate journey. Upcoming, Sanchez plans to keep on his exploration at FIU and is making use of to professional medical school with the hope of conducting research that could preserve lives. Sanchez will graduate with a Bachelor of Science in biological sciences and a Bachelor of Arts in natural and used sciences from the Higher education of Arts, Sciences & Education on Thursday, Aug. 5.
- Katherine Bottenhorn is element of the 1st graduating cohort of FIU’s cognitive neuroscience doctoral system, a part of the School of Arts, Sciences & Schooling that explores the neurobiological foundation of cognitive habits and working. At FIU, she worked as a investigation assistant for the National Institutes of Wellness-funded Adolescent Brain and Cognitive Improvement (ABCD) Analyze — the most significant long-time period review of mind growth and boy or girl wellness in the United States. As the initially in her family members to get paid a Ph.D. – which she credits to potent women of all ages colleagues and mentors – Bottenhorn used what she figured out in her investigation to investigate how modifications in the brains of premenopausal girls are similar to hormones, rest, tension and workout. Bottenhorn will graduate on Friday, Aug. 6.
- For Tameka Hannon, pursuing a Grasp of Company Administration from the FIU University of Business on the internet although balancing a busy lifetime with young children permitted her to receive a marketing and greater salary at the Sarasota County College District, wherever she has labored for 9 years. She claims that adversity was the driving drive at the rear of her accomplishment. At a youthful age, she confronted traumatic childhood functions that remaining her sensation abandoned. She was pregnant at the age of 17 and today is raising five boys. By her fast paced daily life, she continues to give back to the community. She and her partner, former NFL participant Chris Hannon, who also attained his MBA from FIU in 2017, made the Team Hannon Basis, a non-income group that strives to make chances for success in the group. As part of her perform with Women of the NFL, Hannon has spoken to women who have been abused, urging them to feel in by themselves and perform for their goals. Hannon will graduate on Friday, Aug. 6.